Tuesday 4 December 2012

Rich Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache



I think this is my best chocolate cake so far (and my quest for Best of The Best Chocolate Cake isn't over yet!) Seriously there are too many chocolate cake recipes out there and I happen to have been trying quite a few. I used Valrhona Guanaja 70% chocolate and that makes a huge difference too. You can't skimp on the quality of the chocolate and expect grand results!

The only reservation I have is using the light corn syrup in the ganache (it makes the ganache glossy), but then you don't eat chocolate cake everyday. Nevertheless, for healthy-eating purpose I've vowed to myself that I'd find a substitute for corn syrup in making my glossy decadent rich chocolate ganache. I've mentioned in the recipe that you can use golden syrup to replace corn syrup, and even though I haven't tried that myself, let me know if the ganache turns out glossy!


I forgot to use the strips during baking (to prevent domed cake); won't forget this silly mistake next time!
Rich Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Ganache

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 all purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey's cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup strong black coffee/2 tsp powder coffee
1/2 cup vegie oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 175 Celcius. Grease and flour 2 x 9" round pan

Stir sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl

Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil & vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 mins (batter will be thin)

Pour into baking pans. Use baking strips (if available) to prevent cakes from doming and cracking inthe middle. You will get flat & even surface cakes!

Bake for 30-35 mins. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10-15 mins before you frost the cake.


Chocolate Ganache

3 tbs light corn syrup OR golden syrup
6 oz heavy cream
12 oz dark chocolate
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Mix dark chocolate and heavy cream in a heat proof bowl over bain marie. Melt dark chocolate, stir and add corn syrup/ golden syrup. Lastly add vanilla extract.

Remove from heat and let cool for a while before you frost the cake.

ENJOY!!



No comments:

Post a Comment